We decided to stick with some healthy conference foods this weekend, but wanted to top it all off with a treat. Chocolate chip cookie sundaes with homemade ice cream. Everyone loves the good old easy homemade vanilla ice cream, but guess what?? Add a few more ingredients to it and you’ve got Mayan Chocolate!
If I’m going to get ice cream at the store, meaning ice cream that has preservatives and food-like ingredients I can’t pronounce, it is going to be Haagen-Dazs Mayan Chocolate Ice Cream. It’s incredible. But they don’t care. They discontinued it and broke my heart, so I guess we can make our own! And in about 10-15 minutes too.
Do you remember making ice cream in a bag sometime in elementary school? Turns out it’s still delicious. And clean, if you get good ingredients! You’ll see recipes call for whole milk or heavy cream, but I tend to stick with half and half. Check your labels, because there shouldn’t me more than whole milk and cream in it. These are two good brands:
- 2 Gallon zip lock bags
- 2 Quart zip lock bags
- 1 cup Half and Half
- 2 Tablespoons raw sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (without garlic! Check the label.)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, for spice.)
- 2 Tablespoons chopped dark chocolate pieces (optional)
- 3/4 cup coarse salt
- Pour all your ingredients except the ice and salt into the quart bag and seal completely, letting out any extra air.
- Place that bag in another quart bag.
- Fill a gallon bag half way with ice, then pour a good amount of salt over the ice.
- Place the doubled sandwich bag in the gallon bag and then once more, into the other gallon sized bag. (Trust me. I’ve lost far too many bags of ice cream to breakage, and it’s ruined once the salt touches it.)
- Shake the bag until the ice cream is firm, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the quart bag from the gallon bag and rinse off the salt before opening it!
- Pour into a bowl, serve, and enjoy!
To make good old vanilla ice cream, just leave out the cocoa powder, cinnamon, and chili powder!