I recently posted my love for carrots over on Instagram. My absolute favorite way to eat carrots is roasting them! Either with a roast in the crockpot, or the recipe I’m about to share with you here. This is one of the easiest ones yet, not to mention healthy, so don’t hesitate!
It’s so easy to switch what you want to fit your family’s preferences. I do foil packs with a variety of veggies, others with chicken and sausage, sometimes beef.
Here is a quick list of my favorite vegetables you can choose from to add to your packs:
Carrots, onions, garlic, potatoes, celery, tomatoes, zucchini, corn, bell peppers, asparagus, or mushrooms.
I do 3 layers of foil, laying them on each other like a cross so I can roll each layer up, flip the pack upside down, fold the next layer over, flip it again and do the last layer. Make sense? Probably not. Do your thing.
The above ingredients are seriously all you need! It’s so simple, but getting the cooking time right for each meat was the trick for us. For example, you won’t want to roast your carrots with your zucchinis because they both need very different cooking times. I cook my zucchini with my beef because both are going to be in the oven for much less time than the rest of the veggies or bone-in chicken would.
Foil, avocado or olive oil, salt and pepper, and your choices of meats and vegtables.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees or set your grill to medium high.
- Chop your veggies and cut your meat.
- Put out sets of 3 layers of foil. Lay your piles down on each one. I have 3 veggie piles and 1 for steak strips. Whichever meat you use, be sure to add onion, garlic, and a few pieces of any other vegetables you may like for added flavor.
- Drizzle about 1 Tablespoon of your oil onto each pile, salt and pepper to taste, and then use your hands to mix them and ensure everything is equally covered in the oil and seasoning.
- Bunch your veggies into a pile and fold the foil over and around. For these steak stripes, I just wrap them while they are in a single layer.
- Place the packs in the center of your oven rack or in the grill and bake vegetables for 60-75 minutes. Bake the steak strips for 20 minutes for juicy, medium cooked beef.
- Remove from oven and carefully open the foil packets, not letting the steam burn you. Serve and enjoy!