This is another kid-friendly meal, as my children devour it each and every time. I probably double this recipe for a regular night at home because everyone wants seconds and we are all about leftovers in this house.
My mom’s homemade fried rice was one of my all time favorite meals growing up. This recipe was hers, but modified to fit a healthier diet.
A couple suggestions for you:
-If you love quinoa, get it at Costco. Not only is it cost effective, but they prewash theirs and that seriously makes a difference for me!
You can change this recipe to fit your wants and needs in many different ways. I am using a convenient minimally processed deli ham because that’s what I normally have in my fridge. You can easily replace that with a ham steak, chicken, beef, or veggies!
1 1/2 cups of quinoa
3 cups of water
2 1/2 Tablespoons avocado oil
1/2 cup choice meat
1/2 cup frozen peas
2 diced green onions
1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
2 teaspoons onion powder
3 Tablespoons of soy sauce or coconut aminos.
1. Make your quinoa the same way you do rice, with the 1:2 ratio. I add a couple dashes of sea salt and a little bit of avocado oil to keep it from boiling over and to add a little flavor. Bring this to a boil and then cover and lower the heat to simmer for about 12 minutes. It is finished once the water has completely boiled out. Fluff it to check the bottom of the pan.
2. Heat your large pan or skillet (the latter at 375 degrees) with avocado oil. You can use olive oil, but I like the tiny bit of natural sweetness the avocado adds. Once the pan and oil is hot, add your quinoa and stir. Let it sit for awhile to fry enough, then flip and stir to fry all the quinoa.
3. While you let the quinoa sit and fry, combine ingredients for the sauce and stir. Set aside. Dice your meat and green onions.
4. In the pan/skillet, push the fried quinoa aside to create a space for your eggs. Scramble and cook, then mix in with the quinoa.
5. Add peas, green onions, and meat to the pan/skillet, then pour the sauce over it all and mix together.
6. Serve and enjoy!